Thursday, October 27, 2011

Garage Gyms

Now that we're moving into a bigger house with a garage, my husband and I finally have the opportunity to build an "at home" gym. Because I have a strong foundation in Crossfit, instead of getting the typical Bowflex and Gazelle fitness equipment. I have the opportunity to build a true garage gym - although it still probably isn't going to look like a typical box, simply because it's expensive and I don't have time for that. Here are some essentials that I will need for my new gym -

Kettle Bells 

You can use kettle bells in so many ways. A lot of crossfit workouts use them in the "Workout of the Day" such as

Helen:
3 Rounds For Time
Run 400m
21 Kettle Bell Swings 55lb
12 Pull Ups


I'm probably going to get the 1 pood, which is 32 lbs and then as I get back into it, I can get the 1 1/2 pood which is 53 lbs. You can also use kettle bells for workouts such as kettle bells snatch, kettle bell cleans, etc etc. Even Bob uses them on the Biggest Loser

Medicine Balls
but not the little rubber ones. I don't like those as much. I'll get these -


They're good for wall balls and actually, I use them to squat too. It helps me know where to touch my butt and make sure I'm breaking that 90 degree plain. If you're not squatting below where your knees break the plain, you're not squatting. And I like to cheat since I have long legs so... yeah... 


Dumbbells

Self explanatory. I'll probably get 12 lbs and 20 lbs. My hubby will probably want bigger ones for him. 


Pull Up Bar
We're going to have to make one. I don't know how yet. I'll need a stable one, not those ones that are portable. 




That's where i'll start. What I would eventually like to add is - 

Olympic Bars/Bumper Plates (rubber)




Boxes for Box Jumps


I only need one and it needs to be 20"


If I can get some of this stuff after we move, I am thinking I might try Crossfit Endurance to train for my next half marathon. Basically, you do your "sport" (run) 3 days a week using the endurance training plans for the day, and also do the Crossfit strength & conditioning workout for the day that has been developed for endurance athletes. We'll just see how it goes. 

Do you have a home gym? 





5 comments:

  1. Well I thought I would let you know that your mentioning of CrossFit and the fact I just discovered your blog...you have inspired me. I have been thinking lately I need something "New" to try. I'm a runner but not a fast runner, nor do I have very many Miles under my belt. I have little time in my day and a 2 year old that I hate to leave for hours to go for long runs and what not.....so.....I'm going to try crossfit. Or my own little version of it at first since I'm quickly finding out I'm no where NEAR as strong as I once was back in the day. I'm keeping a journal of efforts but wont be putting them on my Running Blog till I see how it goes. In the mean time Check out my Running Blog werunonempty.blogspot.com THANKS FOR THE INSPIRATION! I'm definately staying tuned to your Blog! THANKS AGAIN! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you read it!!! Another great thing to check out is Nike Training Club. They need even less equipment and do a circuit style workout. IT'S REALLY HARD!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Crossfit style workouts and use them with my clients (www.dashingdiva.net). You can modify them accordingly or you can follow along exactly. I too, turned my garage into a Crossfit gym. It was the best decision I made! Good luck with yours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just found you through Skinny Runner and freaked the freak out when I saw "Crossfit." Holla from another crossfitter! I just ran my first half marathon on Saturday and used a modified Crossfit Endurance plan. Highly recommend it, especially if you're not willing to sacrifice your WOD's for your runs (like me).

    ReplyDelete
  5. ok, awesome. I want to ask you, how does the endurance plan work? I see the strength/conditioning and the endurance plan for each day. I know that there are days where you're doing two workouts a day. My question is how do you know when to start? Do they have a half marathon training plan on there that helps you follow along?

    I haven't done crossfit in a while, BUT, I want to start again to do training. I'll have to modify a lot for a while as I build my gym, but I think I can still make it happen.

    I just don't know how it works. I need to sit down and review the website again.

    ReplyDelete