Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Breaking Old Thoughts

One of the things that I have been doing over the last 5 years (and really probably even before that) has been taking old beliefs that I had about myself, the world, other people and evaluating them. It's interesting how many I've realized how many of those beliefs have not been true and I've done a lot of work trying to figure out which of them work for me and which of them do not.

The ones that have been the worst are the ones I've told myself about myself. I realize that we are raised to believe certain things about ourselves, and we've created stories for ourselves that if we really take a look back and evaluate them, may find that they're not true.

Some "stories" I've believed about myself for some time now -

1 - I'm overly emotional (and that is bad)
2 - I am unathletic
3 - I have to weigh 152 lbs and be not only thing, but also muscular
4 - I am not very smart
5 - I am undisciplined
6 - I am self absorbed
7 - I am not creative
8 - if someone else says it, especially about me, it must be true


Those are just some. If I sit here long enough, I can probably think of some others. Not very nice, right? But I'm not the only one who thinks like this. From talking to others, especially women, we all think this type of stuff about ourselves. And the question is, why? Who has told us that any of these things are true? What purpose does it serve me to think of these things.

One thing that I've learned through studying yoga, and a lot of other stuff, is that our thoughts become our reality. Even just one thought takes it place in the world in some way. So am I perpetuating some version of myself that is all of these things? I believe so. But if my thoughts have power, then can't I change these things about myself? Or can't I at least learn to appreciate some of the beauty from these traits?

1. I'm not overly emotional, I'm passionate and that is something that is good. It means that I believe very strongly in things and while those things may change over time, at least it's authentic. You will always know who I am and where I stand - even if you don't agree with it.
2. This just simply isn't true. One thing Holly (my running coach) always says is if you have a body, you're an athlete. Am I winning any races, no. But does that matter, no. Does it mean I'm somehow unathletic if I'm not an Olympian, no.
3. read this blog post
4. I don't know where this came from. And I don't really have a response for it other than I am exactly as smart as I need to be. I will say that I'm fairly emotionally insightful.
5. I am not great at adhering to a schedule, but I think that has more to do with me be a little ADHD and maybe a bit to do with my dosha
6. Aren't we all? just kidding - I think that I am selfish but also do a lot for others so I'm good in this area
7. I never give myself the opportunity to be creative. I keep myself very busy and never allow myself to slow down. This is something I would like to do and am trying to do.
8. We're all at the mercy of our perceptions. And some never even consider that their perception might be wrong but luckily I do know that not only are my perceptions wrong, so are others. So I have the ability to review everything that comes my way and decide if it's something I should believe.


I want to be someone who is kind, loving, thoughtful, helpful, authentic, and productive so I'm going to believe that I am kind, loving, thoughtful, helpful, authentic, and productive. I'm going to wear my Snappy Band and be kind to myself!

Namaste Y'all

1 comment:

  1. This could not have been any more on target with where my thoughts are at these days. Still working on getting away from all of those negative ones I tell myself!

    ReplyDelete