Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Karen G.

So, as I have stated before, the reason I started this blog was because I am raising money for Cancer Research. Our family doesn't have much of a history of cancer (well, I say that but my granddaddy told me he had 3 uncles that died from it and my real dad's mother died of lung cancer - so actually we do), but over the past couple of years, I have really noticed cancer's affects people's lives. Everyone seems to have had it, had a family member that had it, had a friend that had it, something. For some of my blogs, I'd like to dedicate an entry to a person that I know that has been affected by it.

Karen G. is a person that I know and have known over the last 2-3 years. She is a lady that has been through a tremendous amount and she always has a positive attitude. I would consider her a role model.

Some general information about Karen: She has two siblings, a brother and sister, she does not have any children but she has a husband of 20 years (I think), Mike. Both of them are wonderful people who do a lot in their community.

Last year, in April, Karen had a brain aneurism. Karen is young, I think she's in her late 40's, early 50's, she is in shape, she's always taken care of herself... she just had an aneurism and it was scary. She had a hard time remembering things, she was in ICU for a long time, but throughout it all, she always maintained a strong faith and a positive attitude. Her husband, Mike, said that he gained so much hope from her and it helped bring them closer together. The thing that I took from it was that things happen, but it doesn't mean that I can't get through it. God has a plan for me and sometimes, it's different than what I think, sometimes, it's not perfect. (in my eyes). It was horrible thinking that Karen might not make it, but I think that she showed people that we can get through anything in our lives, and that even in bad times we are blessed.

Karen recovered, she was walking and talking and her memory got better, it was like nothing had ever happened. Fast forward to earlier this year, Karen went to the doctor because she had a lump in her throat. She was diagnosed with Non Hodgkins Lymphoma. It was aggressive, but the doctors went forward with treatment. She went through several rounds of Chemo and most recently, had some type of stem cell treatment. She is in remission now, but it has been a tough road. I've gotten updates through friends of mine, and through Mike.

My first thought was, how much is God going to put Karen through? I still dont know the answer. I don't understand why people get cancer, because although I can say, Karen is such a wonderful person, she's so happy and positive, she is strong and has such good advice, she is a good role model and she's someone that I aspire to be one day, I cannot say that she does not deserve cancer, because no one does. But it's here... and of people who get it, they always have a loved one who can't understand why.

What I can say is that, in spite of all that has happened to her, she still remains positive, still is strong, and still has faith in God and what His plan is. I'm grateful to know her and I can't wait until she gets better so I can see her again.

No comments:

Post a Comment