Monday, January 16, 2012

Mom and Teacher Help Please

I am not 100% sure what I'll be doing in Rwanda, but I think that I'll be responsible for watching and playing with the kids in the orphanage. I'm sure I'll be cleaning, doing laundry, those types of things, but I think I'll also be helping take care of the kids and keep them entertained.

If you are a mom, a teacher, babysitter, run a daycare, etc, can you help me out with fun games for kids? I need to be able to take things over easily, so remember, it has to be able to fly on a plane. I'm thinking about bringing some soccer balls, coloring books, crayons, etc.

What else??

2 comments:

  1. I don't know what things are allowed on planes, but some other things my kids love are stickers, tattoos, watercolor paints w/ brushes and paper, jump ropes, sand art, bingo games, those Dollar Store papers where you take a lil stick and scratch off the black to reveal the pretty colors underneath, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was in rural SA in 2007, Dance Parties with the kids are HUGE!! Like break-dancing where everyone is in a circle and one person goes in the middle and shows their skills. They didn't NEED music, but I am sure it would make the party even better.

    Also, the preschool games are good because of language barriers--so Ring Around the Rosy; Duck,Duck,Goose; the many varieties of tag; hopscotch; follow the leader, etc.

    Jump Rope games are fun, if you want to bring a couple jump ropes.

    One game I loved playing with the kids was having them each write out their name and I would try to pronounce it. They thought it was hilarious!! Also, I would draw a picture of something (like a cat) and write the English word and get them to try to say it. Then they would tell me the Zulu word and crack up as I tried to pronounce it. You could also do charades where you act out the words!

    ReplyDelete