Saturday, August 4, 2012

I don't know what day - it's Saturday

Today was an "off" day for us so we brought Angel along and explored Gisenyi. We walked to the Congo border which was only a mile away. Then we went to Lake Kivu - a huge lake that borders Rwanda, Uganda and the Congo. We went to see the hot springs, ate at the Paradise Hotel and came back home. We rode on the Motos again as well as the bus.



My friend, Charlotte, at the Congo border




Lake Kivu





Me, Angel (our Rwandan friend) and Charlotte




the Hot Springs (if you look closely, you can see where the water is boiling)




me at Paradise Hotel 






We kind of saw the "toursity" side of Rwanda and I will tell you that I am enjoying seeing the real country. It's much nicer to spend time with the people in the villages and learn about them vs just being waited on hand and foot in a hotel and not mingling with the people. I feel like I am learning so much more this way. 


The Rwandans are very friendly and I really haven't felt unsafe, even in the market. I've been in markets in Mexico, Costa Rica, and Tunisia so I know what it's like to be nervous in a market. I'm not here. 

I'll have more later!!

1 comment: