FAVOR is part of a national organization dedicated to educating the public about addiction and recovery. In today's world, we are still uneducated about alcoholism/addiction and the issues of leaving it untreated. FAVOR takes the time to 1) reduce the stigma associated with addiction and 2) provide multiple outlets for people to get recovered.
Core Beliefs for FAVOR:
- Addiction recovery is a reality in the lives of millions
- There are many paths to recovery
- Recovery flourishes in supportive communities
- Recovery is a voluntary process
- Recovering people are part of the solution
- Recovery gives back what addiction takes away
Some facts about addiction:
- Addiction affects 16 percent of Americans ages 12 and older - about 40 million people. That is more than the number of people with heart disease, diabetes or cancer.
- Risky substance use and addiction are this nation's largest preventable and most costly health problems, accounting for one third of hospital inpatient costs, driving crime, and lost productivity and resulting in total costs to government alone of at least $468 billion each year
- Addiction involving nicotine, alcohol, illicit drugs, and controlled prescription drugs is a complex brain disease (there is scientific, medical evidence that backs this up)
- 9 out of 10 people who meet diagnostic criteria for addiction involving alcohol and drugs other than nicotine report receiving no treatment at all
There many other statistics showing how much addiction affects hospital, insurance costs and even costs to the workplace.
There is a solution though, and FAVOR is trying to help demonstrate that. A big challenge to getting treatment is the stigma attached to having this disease. If we can show society that, it's not a moral dilemma and that it is treatable, then maybe, people will seek it earlier.
Studies show that when people get recovery early, they are more likely to stay recovered. If insurance companies covered treatment, and we were more supportive of a community, how many people could get recovery sooner? That is the goal of FAVOR.
They are in the midst of a capital campaign to raise money for a recovery center. The recovery center is going to be a place that assists people in their quest for recovery. The center will provide information about treatment facilities, 12 step groups, medication assisted recovery, physicians who supports the disease of alcoholism and addiction, etc. They will also have recovery coaches who can help guide people and act as a support person.
The goal is $1.5 million and they've raised $1.3. It's such an accomplishment and the event today is to celebrate that. I'm very excited to be volunteering and attending!
For more information, please visit: