Monday, February 29, 2016

Yoga Sequence for March 2016

One of the things I have struggled with since having Alex is finding a way to get in some daily self care. It's super important for me to do something to refresh and re-energize because dealing with a strong willed child like Ellie and having a newborn wears me down quickly. I recently won a yoga mat from Wendie at PantryDr (you should totally follow her because she's awesome) and for whatever reason, even though I have 2 very nice yoga mats already, it's inspired me to get back to a practice. That practice is probably going to be about 15 minutes a day, total, for now. That's just where I am in life. I have a lot of mom friends though, and I thought maybe I could blog a little practice that we could all work on weekly. Since I'm not able to teach any yoga right now, I can at least help guide anyone who can't get to their own class.

Beginning Warm Up

5 minutes of yogic breathing - Max Strom talks about this a lot so start every practice with this. If this is all you get done that day, it's 100 times better than any other movement you can do

(also, you should read a Life Worth Breathing if you get a chance - not in this practice but just a side note)

5 rounds of cat/cow
downward facing dog for 3 breathes, bicycle your heels to stretch out calves
repeat this 3 times

from table top position, place your right foot in between your hands and push your hips forward to stretch your hip flexors http://www.yogajournal.com/pose/low-lunge/ (don't raise your arms for this, just place them on your knee or on the floor, keeping your chest open)
step back into down dog and hold for 3 breathes
return to table top and then do the opposite leg
repeat so that you complete twice on each leg

come to a standing position
do 3 rounds of Sun Salutation A

Sit in a yogi squat for 5 breathes

sit in a Lotus position, half lotus, or sukhasana
twist to the right
twist to the left

svasana
finish your practice with breath work and at least 5 minutes of meditation

Let me know your thoughts!!

Wendi

1 comment:

  1. My first time I visit here. I found so many entertaining stuff on your blog, especially its discussion. thanks for sharing such a wonderful post. You can also check health benefits of sukhasana

    ReplyDelete