Monday, November 28, 2011

Back in Control - Wendi Matt style part Deux

Over the past few months, my life has been out of control, as many of you know. The biggest piece of the confusion was the buying and selling of houses. The second largest thing has been the amount of committed activities such as weddings/football games/out of town trips either for races or weddings/races. Things are finally settling down because all of the weddings are out of the way, the houses are done and I have one final trip starting on Wednesday. I'm kind of ready to get back into a routine because although I like excitement every once in a while, a routine is more conducive to taking care of myself. Some things I'm getting ready to being again -

1. Eating Healthy
This has been the hardest thing to do because we've had to eat out a lot. Although we've eaten a lot of salads and healthier items, I just feel better when I eat at home and cook.

*I control the quality of ingredients - I'm not so much a big advocate for low calorie or low fat food, but more so of less processed foods. That means, unbleached flour, unbleached sugar, real butter, not margarine or something that isn't made of real food, etc. I know that butter and things like that are processed but I'd rather eat something that is made from natural ingredients vs some kind of weird chemical that is low in calories/fat. I don't eat artificial sugar, I eat real sugar, I don't eat low fat mayo, If I eat mayo, I use real mayo, etc. When I eat out, unless I'm going to a place that specializes in organic food, I seriously doubt they're using high quality ingredients so even if I eat a salad with deli meat like turkey, it's probably not organic and grown without antibiotics/hormones. I can't even talk about where that meat comes from in terms of the type of farm and it's impact on the environment, but at the least, I know that I'm probably eating some type of chemical that could cause me to have cancer at some point.

*I can eat more frequently - eating out is expensive and when you don't have access to a kitchen, you end up eating out 3 meals a day. I typically eat more than 3 meals a day, but I'm not going to eat out more than 3 meals a day, so by the time we get somewhere to eat, I'm starving and there goes my portion control

*I control my portions - when I can eat any time I want, I don't get as hungry and I can stop eating when I'm full. When I'm starving, I will eat everything quickly until I'm stuffed. I don't like that.

2. No distractions 
I'm not as distracted right now. I still have a lot of stuff to put up and organize and decorate, but I've got the main stuff organized so I can go back to basic living. I can get back to a regular schedule which includes yoga, work, running, and rest. Since I won't have to go meet this person or pay that person or find this service or whatever - I can just get back to my routine

3. Exercise 
My goal over the past few months has been to simplify my life which has been somewhat hard since this has been the busiest fall ever but I had all these ideas of training plans I wanted to do and this and that and blah blah. I'm just going to run and do yoga. That's my plan for right now. I'd like to get back into Crossfit but don't have the set up for it yet and really don't have the money for it yet, so run and yoga. I'll do one one day, and the other another day. Every other day, run and yoga. I will also ride my bike because I LOVE riding my bike, so that'll be good cross training. Otherwise, I'm not worrying about it. I think that will be plenty.

4. Finances
Obviously, these have changed a bit and with an upcoming trip to Vegas and Christmas, it's going to be a little willy nilly. Starting in January, I'll sit down and write up a new budget. We spent some money from our savings in getting our old house sold and buying the new one, plus we bought a new couch and blah blah, so I'd like to get an idea of monthly expenses and getting them back on track. There's not point in stressing about it now though because as I said above, I've still got some unusual spending going on. January 1, I'll have an idea of new expenses, trash, uverse, and gas bill, as well as adjusted old expenses such as mortgage and energy bill. Then I can sit down and focus on monthly expenses, new financial goals, etc.

Other than that, I'm excited about our upcoming trip to Boulder and Vegas. I'll be visiting Jane at In the Pink and Green for a few days as well as racing in the Las Vegas Rock 'n' Roll Half Marathon!!! No, I haven't run in 2 weeks and yes, I realize this will not be a PR, but I don't care. I'm going to have fun!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment