Thursday, November 17, 2011

T minus 5 days

In less than 5 days (technically), we will be moving into our new house. I'm very very excited about this, 1 - because I can't wait to move into our new house and 2 - because I despise the process. I have never had so many things to do and to schedule than I do right now. It has been a mess. Anyways - this is our new house -



I LOVE IT!! Especially the little flowers boxes in front of the windows! I can't wait to put pretty flowers and pants in there!!! But one thing that comes to mind as we get ready to move is how I want to make my house look, how to decorate it. When I moved into the house I'm in now, my husband was already living there. He had his own stuff where he wanted it and he had things put up in his way. Let me tell you, it is very hard to merge two households and really, I just didn't try that hard. Decorating is overwhelming to me anyway, but to not start with a clean slate made it worse. Now, I'm going to a place that is essentially bare. There is color on the walls but that is easy enough. I have the opportunity to move all of our boxes and bins and put everything up in an organized, thoughtful way. That is very exciting to me. But, the other part of that is that I get to decorate. I don't have a ton of experience with this so I'm sure a lot will be trial and error. I also am having a hard time narrowing down how I want it to look. There are a couple of styles that I tend to like - (p.s. all these images are from my boards on Pinterest)

Simple, neutral, clean





Bright, Eclectic, Colorful




Old Cottage Style 




I can't decide if I want to have a theme throughout my entire house, do I want to make each room unique in itself, do I want to take from each style and kind of blend? I don't know. In addition to thinking about how I want to make everything look, I also need new furniture. The first thing we're doing is buying a couch. The way one of the rooms is set up, a sectional is best. At first, because I am OBSESSED with grey, I wanted to get a light grey couch and decorate based on that, but then I remember the carpet in our house is a tan. It's too dark to blend with grey. So now I'm going beige couch and I'll figure out what colors to go with that. Here are some sectionals I've looked at -


Rooms to Go


Haverty's



And that is as far as I've gotten. It's hard to do things without being in there, so I guess I'm just going to have to wait. But in the meantime, here are some other pics that i'm using for inspiration


possibly my formal living room


obsessed with grey. it's bad


I love these chairs and want to get some like this but they're expensive!

my formal living room is already painted yellow, so i'm wondering if I could use this and then my accent colors could be navy and white

I still love the idea of bright rooms, I'm just nervous about doing it!!! 


Once we get moved in, maybe I can highlight each room and talk about the different things I do to it. I'm overwhelmed but also super excited!!!








3 comments:

  1. Congrats on the house! That's a big deal. Just looking at decorating things overwhelm me and I'm not even decorating anything. GOOD LUCK!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The thing about color...a can of paint is fairly inexpensive and if you don't like the color, just try another. My guest bedroom has gone through 3 colors in 4 years and my front entry went through a few as well. Tip, only paint one wall and if you aren't completely sold on it, hold off and live with that color for a few days (wish I would have learned that earlier as it would have saved me some painting!!

    Enjoy the process.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a good idea. A color never seems to translate from an idea, a swatch to the wall.

    ReplyDelete