Saturday, December 15, 2012

The World

After a full day of watching the coverage of the events in CT, I have a heavy heart. I feel not only for the families of those little babies, both the ones that died and the ones who witnessed the event, but also for that man who struggled with mental illness and his mom. I get very confused when stuff like this happens because I just don't understand how someone can do this.

I am reading in a little blue book that they gave us at church for this time of advent. The daily reading this morning was so appropriate for all that is going on, so I wanted to share.

"... and all flesh shall see the salvation of God.

In the face of all that I see as wrong with the world, I have two options.

One option is to see all these problems as fatal. The world is doomed to be forever unjust and tragic, so I should simply do my best to get the most I can for myself out of the situation.

The other option is to see all creation as the recipient of the overwhelming power of God's compassion and transforming love. When I look at the world this way, I believe that every struggle for peace and justice, however small, ultimately has an effect, and whatever energy I spend to relieve suffering is worth the effort.

....

Every valley shall be filled and every mountain and hill shall be made low. 
The winding roads shall be made straight, and the rough ways made smooth, and all flesh shall see the salvation of God."

How I feel that applies to me, at least at this very moment, is to go into each day trying to be loving, kind, caring and of service. I am not perfect, especially at work, but I can get up each morning and try again. Maybe it won't be worth anything, but maybe it will and just as it says, I have to believe that my struggle for peace and justice is worth the effort.

No comments:

Post a Comment