Thursday, May 26, 2011

Dinner and Blood Diamonds...

Wednesday night was my hubby & I's usual date night. I usually cook dinner and we watch our Netflix movie of the week.

Dinner: Capellini Pomodoro courtesy of my Whole Foods App for iPhone

Ingredients:
3/4 Capellini (cooked Al dente) : and of course I bought whole grain pasta from Whole Foods
2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
2 cloves of garlic, minced (I do not mince my garlic, I chop it which is what I did here)
1 large tomato (which translated into two small tomatoes because it's not quite tomato season)
1 cup fresh basil (which I got from my garden!)
1 cup cooked chickpeas (I actually used a pound of shrimp - wild caught)
1/4 cup grated asiago cheese
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1/2 teaspoon of sea salt (I use Kosher salt)
1/2 teaspoon of black pepper

*So I never measure anything, I didn't use any of these measurements, I just went by look, but it ended up ok so whatevs)

*heat olive oil on low/medium heat (it says medium high but our stove gets too hot) and add shrimp. Once it gets a little pink, add garlic and chopped tomato & let it saute for about 2 minutes. At least long enough for the tomato to break down a bit
*Add basil and cooked pasta, cook stirring frequently for another minute
*add asiago, balsamic, salt and pepper and sever

Voila!

shrimp, tomato and garlic

basil and pasta

cheese and others... 

After our delicious dinner, we watched the movie Blood Diamond


It was about (duh) the diamond trade in Sierra Leone and the bloodshed that it caused. Let me just start by saying this; The things that are happening in Africa now and in the past 20-30 years, are disturbing to me. I was first exposed to this is college when I took a Race, Ethnicity and Class class (that sounds weird), and we studied about Rwanda. We studied different forms of genocide in that class, but for whatever reason, Rwanda really stood out to me. Since then, I have been drawn to Africa and the desire I have to go there has grown stronger. 

So, immediately, I was like, oh no, this is going to be tough on me. I'm so sensitive, which I guess is good because I am really motivated to go do something there. But in my little bubble of blogging and running where I worry about how fat I am or how I don't like my haircut, I never have to think about children bring forced into war as soldiers over there. And that's the part that was disturbing to me. Sometimes, I have to remember that my life is so easy compared to others. I have what I like to call, "high-class problems". So that's what I went to bed with last night. It was such a good movie and I think it's something we all need to see. 

Sorry to go heavy on you, but it effected me so deeply, I wanted to write about it. I am not sure that I'm intellectual enough to really write something in depth... but in my plain, simple language, let's remember there is a world out there that is so much bigger than we are and the trivial things we deal with in life are nothing compared to what people in South Africa, West Africa, North Africa, the Middle East, China, and even our own backyard, Latin America have to deal with. 





No comments:

Post a Comment