Monday, March 19, 2012

New Training Program

If you've been reading my blog over the past 4-5 months, you know how much I've been complaining about running and how burnt out I was and how I'm not doing any endurance training, etc etc etc. Well, one of the things I've been thinking about doing is just focusing on increasing my speed and specifically shortening my times for the 5k and 10k distance. Now - I actually have a plan. Well, I don't, Holly Di Giovine does.





She's basically designing me a 10k training program for me which, I'm thinking, will consist of speed work, interval work and long distance on the weekends (which long distance will be focused for 10k - I'm sticking with no long runs for a while). 

My training will also include 1 boot camp with Holly per week, a strength training session on my own (courtesy for the one and only moi), and 2-3 yoga classes per week. The other thing I will try to incorporate, not because I just want more cardio, but because I enjoy it so much, is riding my bike. 

This weekend, I rode with my friend, Elisa, and let me tell you. I. STRAIGHT UP. LOVE. MY. BIKE. 



I don't have a picture of me on my bike, so I thought I'd throw in a pic of me on a moped - same thing, right? 






One of my friends was like, you know you can take that helmet off & i was like, eh, whatevs. 




So.. I got off topic a bit, but back to training.


I am excited that I have a plan so I'm going to try very hard to be a little bit more consistent. What happens is I don't like going to bed early, then I have a hard time getting up in the morning, then I think I can do the workout at night, then I don't want to work out at night, then I get a day behind and so on and so forth. Now, I'm going to forced a little to follow a plan and maybe I'll be better about keeping schedule.

My overall goal for 2012 will be to reduce my 5k time by a minute 3 minutes. With a trip to Africa in the middle of August, that may change a bit, but we'll see.

I know this. I will not be training for a half marathon for a while. I was riding on sunday and I saw a couple of runners just pounding the pavement and I thought, I am so grateful that I'm not out here banging out miles. Thank you Lord for some clarity!

Are you training for anything? 

No comments:

Post a Comment