Sunday, January 1, 2012

2012 - My Resolution List

I was trying to think of all the things I loved about 2011. We had so many wonderful things happen like getting a new house, James's business continuing to grow, Yoga Teacher Training, lots of travel, selling a car, selling the Bel, etc etc etc. When I go back and think of things that I didn't like about 2011, it really all has to do with internal feelings. The world around me was going really well and I have received so many blessings. This is the first year my resolution list has nothing to do with work/weight/fitness goals. This is the year of the family. This is the year of treating myself well. My being healthy is going to go beyond just what I eat, but how I function in the world. Here is a little breakdown -


Food

I'll start with the simplest thing first.

Rule #1 - NO DIETS. I am not going on any kind of crazy diet. I'm not eating low cal, I'm not eating low fat, I'm not eating low carb, I'm not eating Paleo, I'm not eating Vegan, I'm not eating Vegetarian. I am going to eat exactly WHAT I want. If I want a cookie, I'm going to eat it. If I want a parsnip, I'm going to eat it. And I'm not going to feel one bit of guilt for one bit of food I put in my body. Period.

Rule #2 - I love food. I love the way it tastes. So, I'm going to taste it. No more eating in front of the television. No more eating in the car. No more eating in 10 minutes or less. I want to sit down and enjoy the meal that I am eating. I am going to be present while I eat and I'm not going to zone out and mindlessly stuff food in my face.

Rule #3 - I am going to be a little more flexible with this, but I'm going to attempt to eat "whole" foods. This is something I've already been doing so it will just be a continuation. The less processed it is, the less chemically altered it is, knowing where it comes from (this applies to meat), is my goal. I won't always be perfect at this and I have to learn that in life, we have to go with the flow, BUT, my goal is to focus on home made, good, nutritious, healthy food. If I'm going to use butter, real butter. If I'm going to drink milk, organic, whole milk, although I have really cut dairy out of my diet simply because it doesn't sit well with me. But you get what I'm saying.


Fitness


I'm still playing around with this. It's a little tricky. If I weren't trying to raise money for Africa, I wouldn't even THINK about running a race. 2011 was the year of the burnout. I did TOO many races for my liking and I am just so NOT interested in running right now. I think it'll change once I get back into it, but I did a whole lot of races. People that do 12 marathons in a year and all of that, I don't see how they do it. I did 3 and I was done. And didn't even train for one of them.

But, I will be training for a race because it's really the only way I can think of raising money. My goal race is the Rock'n'Roll Half Marathon in Nashville. That one works out perfectly for fundraising and it should be pretty fun. The course is hilly so I can just go ahead and do my training around gville, like usual because it's about the same.

Weights - we are building a home gym. We are using the money from selling my husband's chevy bel-air, so it's perfect. We're getting a full 300# bar set of weights - not bumper, that'll be later - a kettle bell, medicine ball, dumb bells, and possibly a pull up bar. If I can get my hands on a GHD machine, I want to do that, but we'll see. It'll be a basic version of a box gym because if there is any way I can do Crossfit Endurance for my marathon training, I'm going to.

Yoga - my goal is 2-3 yoga classes a week. I LOVE yoga. It makes my body stronger in a way that crossfit/nike training club cannot. It also helps my sanity and helps me breathe.


Financial


This is my hardest one. I struggle with my relationship with money. I want to hoard it but I can also be spendy, spendy too. My simple goal for this is to let go of my attachment to money, to let go of the security it brings me. Not that I don't want to make money or be successful, but to not be so attached to the emotions around it. It's kind of hard to explain, but if you know what I'm saying, you know what I'm saying :)


Family 


This is my biggest focus. I am one who always wants to be involved in everything. I want to try everything and be everywhere. What I have noticed is that it severely inhibits my ability to be effective in anything I do. I spread myself so thin that I I can't do anything well and I ignore the people who love so much. What I have enjoyed most about the break has been the attention I've given my house, the cooking/baking, and playing with the girls. We played basketball today and I showed them how to do a handstand. That was a lot of fun and something I'm usually not around to do.

What's going to happen though is I'm going to miss out on a lot of things. I've already seen that happen and while I peruse facebook and feel a little left out, I realize that I've only got so much time in my life as a wife, stepmother, and employee. I'd rather truly enjoy the special time I can spend with my family/close friends and give them my all, then be everyone's friend and be too tired to be anything.


Africa 


I have been approved, the trip is happening, I'm going to Rwanda. I've got to book airline tickets, get some shots, and prepare something for little babies to do with me for 2 weeks. This is going to my MAIN non family focus for 2012 which is also why I'm not as concerned about races, unless it means raising money.



What are your News Years Resolutions? 
What do you want to change? 
What would you like to keep the same? 

No comments:

Post a Comment